- 6.5 kg turkey
- 225 g streaky bacon
- 175 g butter
- Make sure turkey is completely defrosted the day before. Once defrosted, put uncovered turkey in fridge. Take it out late the night before, so it will be at room temperature in the morning.
- Heat oven to 220 deg.
- Remove giblets.
- Spread 175 g butter over bird.
- Lay streaky bacon over breast.
- Season with pepper and a little salt.
- Arrange 2 large sheets of foil (length and width-wise). Lay turkey (bacon-side up) in foil. Wrap loosely (firmly sealed, but with room for air to ciculate).
- Place in oven at 220 deg for 40 mins.
- Reduce temperature to 170 deg. for 3 hours.
- Remove turey from oven. Uncover and discard foil.
- Baste with juices - continue to baste every 30 mins from now on.
- Increase temperature to 200 deg for another 30 mins.
- Once bacon has browned, push it down into the tin.
- Remove turkey from oven.
- Pierce thickest part of leg with a skewer and press. If the juices are not clear, return to oven.
- Once juices are clear, remove from oven.
- Cover with foil.
- Rest at kitchen temperature for 45 minutes.