Reheating: Either freeze once cooked, or freeze them with the pastry raw. Defrost completey before warming through/cooking.
- 560 g mincemeat
- 350 g plain flour
- 75 g lard
- 75 g butter
- pinch of salt
- a little milk
- icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 deg.
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and use the tips of your fingers to rub the butter and lard into the mixture, until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Add a few tbsp of cold water. Just enough to create a dough that leaves the bowl clean.
- Leave the pastry to rest in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Roll half the dough as thinly as possible and use cutters to divide it into 7.5 cm rounds. Do the same with the rest of the dough, cutting 3cm rounds.
- Grease a patty tin with butter and line them with the larger rounds.
- Fill these with mincemeat, but leave some space for the filling to expand during cooking.
- Dampen the edges of the smaller rounds of pastry with water and press them lightly on top of the pies, sealing the edges.
- Brush the top of each pie with milk and make three snips in the tops with a pair of scissors.
- Bake near the top of the oven for 25-30 minutes until light golden brown.
- Cool on a wire tray.
- Either freeze, or sprinkle with icing sugar if serving immediately.