Servings: makes 2.5 kg
- 450 g Bramley apples, cored and chopped small (no need to peel them)
- 50 g whole almonds, cut into slivers
- 4 teaspoons mixed ground spice
- 0.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 0.5 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons brandy
- 225 g shredded suet (substitute vegetarian suet if required)
- 350 g raisins
- 225 g sultanas
- 225 g currants
- 225 g whole mixed candied peel, finely chopped
- 350 g soft dark brown sugar
- grated zest and juice 2 oranges
- grated zest and juice 2 lemons
- The mincemeat will keep for ages (2-3 years) if stored in properly sterilised jars.
- Combine all the ingredients, except for the brandy in an oven-proof bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and leave the mixture in a cool place overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 110 deg.
- Cover the bowl loosely with foil and place it in the oven for 3 hours.
- Stir it occasioanlly as it cools.
- When completely cold, add brandy and stir again.
- Sterilise storage jars: wash the jars and lids in warm soapy water, rinse well, then dry thoroughly with a clean tea cloth, place them on a baking tray and pop into a medium oven at 180 deg. for 5 minutes.
- Pack mincemenat in sterlised jars.